Email has long been the most commonly used means of communication on the internet. This week Antoine Nguyen talks about his work on the Modoboa project to make hosting your own mail server easier to manage. He discusses how the project got started, the tools that it ties together, and how he used Django to build a webmail and admin interface to make it more approachable.
Do you want to try out some of the tools and applications that you heard about on Podcast.__init__? Do you have a side project that you want to share with the world? Check out Linode at linode.com/podcastinit or use the code podcastinit2017 and get a $20 credit to try out their fast and reliable Linux virtual servers. They’ve got lightning fast networking and SSD servers with plenty of power and storage to run whatever you want to experiment on.
GoCD is the on-premise open source continuous delivery server created by ThoughtWorks and modeled after the ideas in the Continuous Delivery book by Jez Humble and David Farley.
With GoCD’s comprehensive pipeline modeling, you can model complex workflows for multiple teams with ease. And GoCD’s Value Stream Map lets you track a change from commit to deploy at a glance.
GoCD’s real power is in the visibility it provides over your end-to-end workflow. So you get complete control of and visibility into your deployments, across multiple teams.
Say goodbye to deployment panic and hello to consistent, predictable deliveries.
To learn more about GoCD, visit gocd.org for a free download. Professional Support and enterprise add-ons, including disaster recovery, are available.
- Hello and welcome to Podcast.__init__, the podcast about Python and the people who make it great.
- I would like to thank everyone who supports us on Patreon. Your contributions help to make the show sustainable.
- When you’re ready to launch your next project you’ll need somewhere to deploy it. Check out Linode at www.podastinit.com/linode and get a $20 credit to try out their fast and reliable Linux virtual servers for running your awesome app.
- Need to learn more about how to scale your apps or learn new techniques for building them? Pluralsight has the training and mentoring you need to level up your skills. Go to www.podcastinit.com/pluralsight to start your free trial today.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the newsletter, read the show notes, and get in touch.
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on iTunes, or Google Play Music, tell your friends and co-workers, and share it on social media.
- If you work with data for your job or want to learn more about how open source is powering the latest innovations in data science then make your way to the Open Data Science Conference, happening in London in October and San Francisco in November. Follow the links in the show notes to register and help support the show in the process.
- Your host as usual is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Antoine Nguyen about Modoboa, a project to make mail hosting simple.
- How did you get introduced to Python?
- What is Modoboa and what is the problem that you were trying to solve when you started it?
- Where does the name come from?
- Self-hosting an email server was a common activity during the early stages of the internet, what are some of the reasons that someone should consider running their own mail server now that there are so many options for third-party hosting such as Gmail and Outlook?
- Email hosting has become more complicated in recent years with the need to jump through a lot of hoops to maintain a sufficient reputation to keep your messages from being flagged as spam. Are there any utilities in Modoboa to assist with that process?
- There are a lot of components that you have brought together for running an email server. Can you describe how the different pieces fit together and what layers you have built on top to help make the overall system more manageable?
- What does the scaling strategy look like for Modoboa?
- What is the most challenging aspect of building and maintaining Modoboa?
- What are some of the features that you have planned for the future of Modoboa?
Keep In Touch
- SPF Records
- Apache Libcloud
- Mail Transfer Agent