Read all of our show notes and find more information about us at podcastinit.com
- Date of recording – May 18th, 2015
- Hosts – Tobias Macey and Chris Patti
- Follow us on iTunes, Stitcher or TuneIn
- Give us feedback! (iTunes, Twitter, email, Disqus comments)
- Overview – Interview with Jacob Kaplan-Moss
Interview with Jacob Kaplan-Moss
- How were you first introduced to Python?
- So, we wanted to invite you on the show to discuss the keynote that you gave at this years PyCon. Can you tell us what you mean when you say that you’re a mediocre programmer and why that is such an important admission to make?
- What are some ways that we can change the tone of the conversation around programming skill?
- What do we gain by admitting to ourselves and others that we are not all phenomenal engineers?
- Where does the myth of exceptional vs terrible programmers come from? Can you provide some examples of times that you came in contact with this narrative?
- How do you think hiring tactics in technology companies contribute to this misconception and how can they be more accepting of average programmers?
- What are some ways that we can work toward eradicating the myth of the 10x programmer?
- Thinking about our industry’s problems retaining women and other undervalued groups, do you think the way many managers do performance reviews play a role? If so, how can we do better?
- Can you tell us about some other ongoing narratives in the technology industry that you find equally as damaging as our misconceptions around skills and knowledge? – Tobias
- Jacob Kaplan-Moss